Welcome to the
Cowichan Valley Starfinders
The Cowichan Valley Starfinders are a non-profit society who’s mandate is to promote and enjoy amateur astronomy in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Frank Carl Ogonoski
The members of the Cowichan Valley Starfinders wish to to remember and celebrate the life of our founding member Frank Ogonoski
Frank Ogonoski was the founding member and long time president of the Cowichan Valley Starfinders. He maintained an observatory attached to his home in Duncan and hosted the club at this location for many years.Frank was the driving force that started the Island Star Party which is still running 26 years later.
Frank was passionate about astronomy, telescope building, and science in general. He was always welcoming, warm and a great mentor and friend to many. We will miss him.
Monthly Club Socials
……………………….Covid19 has halted meeting until further notice, Island Star Party 2021 will depend on how this year goes. The safety of our members and public is very important to us ……………………..
Socials are held the every month at 7:00pm to 9:00pm with the exception of July, August and December (dinner) and are usually hosted in Mill Bay. Come and enjoy a fun and informative social and maybe a little observing afterward.
The day and location of the meetings do change from month to month, check our events calendar for each month. https://starfinders.ca/events-calendar
Astronomy & Space News
- What’s Causing the Mysterious Radio Waves Coming From the Center of the Milky Way?
- Europa has Water in its Atmosphere
- A Magnetic Tunnel Surrounds the Earth
- Jupiter Whacked Again? Japanese Astronomers Record Possible Impact
- Here’s the View From Sweden During the Recent Solar Storm
- Titan’s river maps may advise Dragonfly’s 'sedimental' journey
- Volcanism on the Moon Ended About 2 Billion Years ago
- Why do Uranus and Neptune Have Magnetic Fields? Hot ice
- This’ll be us… in 5 Billion Years
- A Spacecraft Could use Gravity to Prevent a Dangerous Asteroid Impact